332 Maine St.,
Quincy, Ill. 62301
Closed for the winter until March 20.
In 1974 the Quincy Public Library vacated its old building at the corner of Fourth and Maine and relocated to a new building at 526 Jersey Street. At that time, John Willis Gardner III bought the Maine Street property, with the intention of establishing an architectural museum. After adaptive reuse of the interior, the museum opened in 1977.
The Gardner Museum is a stone Romanesque Revival style building erected in 1888. It was designed by the Chicago architectural firm of Patton and Fisher and built with limestone supplied by the Frederick W. Menke Stone Works of Quincy. A stucco addition, designed by Quincy architect Ernest Wood, was added to the back of the building in 1929. Massive masonry walls of rough-cut or rusticated stones, rounded arches, and towers characterize Romanesque Revival buildings. The Gardner Museum is a full two stories with a circular corner tower that rises to three stories and features views of nearby Washington Park, as well as of the Mississippi River and the Missouri countryside beyond. Ornamental iron railings and supports are intact at the entrance. The interior features butternut woodwork throughout and a handsome staircase with an ornately carved baluster. The second floor has a large room, formerly the library reading room, has a tongue and groove wood vaulted ceiling. It now houses the “Aspirations in Glass” exhibit of stained glass windows saved from demolished churches.
February 14 – Valentine’s Dinner at the Museum Fund Raiser – Cocktails and Hors deourves 6 – 7 p.m., Dinner served at 7 p.m. Silent Auction before, during and after of donated items along with items from the museum’s collection.
February 28 – The Underground Railroad in Payson, 1 p.m. Presentation at the Gardner Museum, 332 Maine.
March 20 – Opening of “The Architecture and Structures of the Mississippi River” exhibit, along with “The Architecture of Quincy” and “Gone but not Forgotten.”
April 10 – Driving Tour of the Buildings Designed by Martin J. Geise
May 1 – First Saturday Walking Tour – 2 p.m. – 16th Street from State to Broadway - meet at 16th and Broadway - $4 each, members of the museum free.
May 23 – Great Spaces Tour of Historic Quincy Business District Buildings – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
June 5 – First Saturday Walking Tour – Aldo Boulevard from 20th - 10 a.m. - $4 each, members of the museum free.
June 26 – Saturday Morning Breakfast at the Museum in conjunction with the Mid-Summer Arts Faire – 8-11 a.m. and the museum will be open free of charge to everyone making a purchase at the Mid-Summer Arts Faire on Saturday and Sunday from 1-4 p.m. Just bring your bag or receipt.
July 3 – First Saturday Walking Tour – Washington School, Eighth and Sycamore and the environs – 10 a.m. - - $4 each, members of the Museum free.
August 1 – First Saturday Walking Tour – Front and Delaware Street, Quincy’s birth place – 10 a.m. - $4 each, members of the Museum free.
August 30 - Last day to see Builders of Quincy Exhibit and Quincy Architect Exhibit
September 4 – First Saturday Walking Tour – Seventh and Adams – 10 a.m. - $4 each, members of the Museum free.
September 24 – Opening of new Builders of Quincy Exhibit and new Quincy Architect Exhibit
October 2 – First Saturday Walking Tour – 20th and Vermont – the once proposed Bungalow District – 10 a.m. – $4 each, members of the Museum free.
November 1 – Woodland Cemetery Tour – tours every 15 minutes from 4-7:30, adults $7 children 12 and under $5. Reservations required call 217-224-6873